Self Introduction Email

Dear Prof Brad,

I am writing this email to introduce myself, hoping for you to get to know me better. Before coming to Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT), I was pursuing a diploma in information technology at Singapore Polytechnic. I first started having an interest in engineering when I was building Lego. Then I moved on to building kits from K’nex that have a motor as I wanted to see what I build move. This led me to be interested in robotics where mechanics and software are combined in a machine.

Regarding my communication skills, I feel that I tend to speak softly and a little high pitched in front of a very large crowd. This happened in secondary school when I had to present a short segment during the morning assembly in front of the whole school. Even though I did not do an excellent job in my delivery of the speech, my teacher was encouraging and told me that I did a good job with the content and presentation slides despite the short time frame.

When it comes to communication strength, I feel that I would not shy away from starting or joining a conversation when it is within a small group. I would try to be present and not ostracize myself.

The first goal I hope to achieve from this module is to be able to be more engaging when communicating with other people. I feel that this is because I am not able to get my words together whenever I am sharing an experience or story, which leads to me talking in an unorganized manner which confuses people sometimes.  

The other goal that I have is to improve my English, in both written and speech. I hope to improve my grammar and vocabulary, which would help me to be more eloquent and confident in the English language.

Thanks for taking the time to read my email and I look forward to the rest of my journey in this module.

Best Regards,

Nicole

Comments

  1. Hi Nicole, great to see and understand about you more and I am genuinely a bit shock of how you used synonyms such as "ostracize" and "eloquent" although you stated that you want to improve your written and speech. However I would like to point out a small mistake in the first paragraph, "Before coming to SIT", you can state the full name of the school first before using the school acronym "SIT". Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your feedback. I will amend my email accordingly.

      Cheers,
      Nicole

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this letter, Nicole. I respond in more detail after your blog mates weigh in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Nicole,

    Thank you for this richly detailed and fluent letter. You’ve covered the scope of the assignment well and managed to demonstrate quite a bit about what makes you special. Among others points, we readers learn how your experience with Legos and K'nex sets helped you develop a deep interest in robotics. I'd be very interested to know what sort of project you might have already completed.

    In the letter, you also do an admirable job explaining your comm skills strength, being sociable and conversant in a small group, and a perceived weakness, not being an assertive enough speaker in front of a group (which ties in with your first goal). Hopefully, you'll take the Zoom mode lessons as an opportunity to share more openly with me and your peers. I want to hear your 'voice.' :)

    I also appreciate you stating your second goal for the module: language use. Of course, one can always improve. But honestly, your writing in this letter seems error-free. I hope to see that standard continue through the coming written assignments.

    Best wishes,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Prof Brad,

      Thank you for your feedback. I will amend my introduction email based on it.

      Best wishes,

      Nicole

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Importance of communication skills for engineers

Critical Reflection